Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
Medical Advice
08-20-2011, 02:02 PM (This post was last modified: 08-20-2011 02:02 PM by old man dave 59.)
Medical Advice
I would like to start this forum for the benefit of our members and guests. With all of the pills and different medical professions it is hard to sort out what works and what does not.
I have had a lot of good advice and a lot of bad advice from doctors and chiropractors and other sources. I feel that I have learned a lot and would like to spread the good advice and home remedies, but not dwell on the bad advice and who they are but promote the ones that have worked and done miracles for me and others.
We all have different opinions and beliefs so this is a good place to talk about these things and you are welcome to tell others about a good Doctor, Chiropractor, Massage therapist and others.

RIDING IS NOT A HOBBY, IT'S A LIFESTYLE
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
08-20-2011, 03:25 PM (This post was last modified: 08-20-2011 03:26 PM by DirtbikeDave917.)
RE: Medical Advice
Heres good advice
Ice 20 min. every two hours for two days.

I could talk about pain meds all day. (it would be under Bad Advice)
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
08-21-2011, 01:11 PM (This post was last modified: 08-21-2011 01:38 PM by old man dave 59.)
I have many subjucts to talk about, but I will start with recent activity.
All of my problems seem to have started with a knee problem, My doctor who I trust a lot put me on Prednisone, a steroid for possible pulled tendons or ligament after a X ray. My 2nd Chiropractor looked at it and showed me how a muscle was bound up and causing my knee cap to bend sideways which was obvious. Haller is a acupuncture and natural medicine who practiced under DR Yennie who is world wide famous chiropractor here in MO, one of the best, I have used him too. This was after all of this happened and I agree with him.

The prednisone stopped my immune system and let a middle ear infection that probably was there for a long time take over. I collapse at work and am rushed to hospital, who did Cat Scans, X rays, blood test and EKG and gave me a shot of Valium and Meclizine. After 5 hours they decided I had Vertigo and tried to send me home. I disagreed and said I got sick and then got dizzy. They tried to convince me that it was Vertigo.The Doctor said go to Home Doctor, It's Friday and so I decided since I felt better that I would go Monday.
I got real sick Saturday Eve and wanted to go back to Hospital, but my sister who is a RN and now lectures at Colleges said to wait and Doctor would do better, and sure enough DR Wortham found the ear infection just by listening and looking closer than the Hospital. He put me on antibiotics.
The antibiotics that he gave me did not agree with me very well and made me sick and I should of changed right away, but I thought it was because I was not eating, having Vertigo so bad I couldn't walk or open eyes without getting sick for 5 days.

Got better antibiotics and now they don't make me sick.They don't tell you this, you have to take control of descions like this yourself.

Hospitals treat the symptoms and not the problems sometimes.

Doctors are some times wrong. Doctors have a tendacy to give you a pill and not look for the cause from my experience.

12-26-2011, 09:58 PM
Anyone ever suffer from tendonitus? I got it in my elbow from the last time I rode which was Nov.25 and its still messed up. The pain isn't as bad as that day but i've been trying to rest it. I want to ride but I think that may be a bad idea....so I wait
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
12-27-2011, 08:03 AM
(12-26-2011 09:58 PM)DirtbikeDave917 Wrote:  Anyone ever suffer from tendonitus? I got it in my elbow from the last time I rode which was Nov.25 and its still messed up. The pain isn't as bad as that day but i've been trying to rest it. I want to ride but I think that may be a bad idea....so I wait

That's from overworking the arm. Ibuprofen and take a break. My back gets out of place from using the same muscles at work and riding evens it back out by using all the muscles. My wrist froze up this weekend from drilling sPot welds on a frame rail replacement, but massage loosened it up. Previous compound fracture didn't help.
You might try riding and see if it helps, but I would think it would not, unless you just took it easy.

04-15-2012, 10:41 AM (This post was last modified: 04-15-2012 10:41 AM by old man dave 59.)
I bumped my elbow, not any harder than my head that same day working on suspension for a friend, nothing to attract my attention, except for my elbow hurt that night. NO cuts.
The next day I get up and my elbow is swollen a lot. I went to the doctor immediately, which was the key to this situation. Find a doctor that gets you in the same day if needed. I was given antibiotics and he circled the swelling and told me not to go to work.
Went back the next morning and he didn't like the looks of the progress and sent me to my Orthopedic surgeon immediately and they did surgery be noon. He cut open the elbow right in his office, knowing the urgency of the situation and stuck a swab in there and broke open all of the fluid sacs in there and out came the bad stuff. They sent me upstairs to the Hospital to be admitted so they could start IV Antibiotics.

This is why I said I get to keep the arm. If I had not acted on my intuition that something is not right and got an appointment right away, they would of been doing a larger scale surgery and it would of taken a long time to heal, and I could of had serious complications.
My hospital stay was only 3 days and I got to go home with a pick line, not much fun, but better than being hospitalized for 3 weeks.
Here is the antibiotics and saline flushes I will be putting into the pick line, (inserted IV line).

[Image: BREAKFAST003.jpg]

04-16-2012, 01:11 AM
dam dave that sucks